Thursday, April 29, 2010

Noah's Ark

There have been numerous search parties that have found Noah's Ark. What is interesting to me here is not that it was found (again), but that there are so many mountains with 4,000 year old boats on them.

Just by the fact that these boats are 4,000 years old pretty much blows the idea that the universe was created 4,000 years ago - aimed at my fundamentalist friends.


Anyway, the question I have is what happened 4k years ago that: 1) made people decide to build boats on top of mountains and/or 2) how many people besides Noah survived the great flood. I've seen scientific representations of how the great flood happened (which I find plausible) where Pangea begins to break apart and the resulting fissures release subterranean waters, the weight of Pangea being so great that water fires off into the sky for approximately 40 days. I like that, it's almost sexy. The problem here is Pangea, I mean PANGEA!! We're not talking about ancient times but pre-historic times. We have fossils that date back 400-500 million years but not random wooden structures which can be assumed to be boats.

I don't know; I guess I'm just sceptical about these things. I alway wonder what the point of having proof is...well I know why people need proof; I just wonder why anyone's faith can be so weak that they need proof. This extends to The Bible - who cares if it is to be taken literally or was written by God itself. If your faith is based on the validity of a stack of paper then your faith is only as strong as that stack of paper...or it's validity. Since things like The Bible simply can't be validated you get nuts weak on faith tramping through the mountains to find boats that don't exist.
People Search

I guess if your the kind of person that needs physical tokens of your faith then people finding the ark or some ancient scrolls is awesome for your spirituality, but I have to ask:
is this strengthening your faith or are you strengthening your faith in your beliefs?

No comments:

Post a Comment